Required Documents


NOTE: All applicants must have their social security number on the forms when applying

One of the following:

  • Original certified copy of STATE-issued birth certificate with raised or colored seal (note: CA and TX "abstract of birth" certificates are not acceptable and birth records issued by a hospital are not acceptable)
  • current or expired U.S. passport
  • original naturalization or citizenship certificate

You may be required to submit the following in addition to proof of citizenship.

  • original name change documents
    (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers)


One of the following:

  • Valid state-issued driver's license card (temporary/paper license is not acceptable)
  • Valid state-issued ID card
  • Valid military ID card

(Note: As of 7/1/2009, you must also bring a copy of the front and back of your identity document. Please bring a clear copy with you or we will copy it here for a $1 fee. )


  • children under 16 years of age must apply in person with both parents present (for consent and proof of identity)
  • for children presenting a passport to prove citizenship, a birth certificate will also be required to verify the signing parents' relationship to the child
  • youths 16 or 17 years of age must apply in person with one parent present (for proof of identity)